One of the most common complaints about sticking to a healthy diet is that it is too expensive. But with a little extra effort, eating well can fit within any budget. Planning is the first (and most important) step. Designate a weekly shopping day, and sit down before you shop to plan your meals and snacks for the upcoming week. Focus on foods like vegetables, dried beans and lentils, and whole grains as the main ingredients, along with reasonable servings of lean proteins, in recipes such as stews, casseroles and stir-fry dishes. Then, make a comprehensive grocery list (and stick to it!).
Before hitting the supermarket aisle, follow these helpful habits:
- Check online and in the newspaper for sales and coupons, and sign up for loyalty or membership card programs at your neighborhood grocery store.
- Make sure that you are not hungry when you go shopping. This will help you avoid impulse buys on less nutritious items or items that cost more.
- Give yourself enough time to shop, so that you can compare costs, read food labels, and make informed decisions.
- Stock up on staples in bulk, such as brown rice, whole-wheat pasta, dried beans and lentils, frozen vegetables, and proteins, like meat, poultry and fish, when they are on sale.
- Buy fresh fruits and vegetables when they are in season.
- According to the USDA, the least expensive fresh vegetables are potatoes, lettuce, eggplant, summer squash, carrots, and tomatillos, and the least expensive fresh fruits are watermelon, apples, bananas, pears, and peaches.
- Avoid pre-washed, pre-cut, individual servings of produce, as they are usually more expensive.
- Consider buying frozen vegetables (and be sure to look for those that do not contain added sauces). They do still have a high nutritional value, and they will last much longer, minimizing food waste and stretching your dollar.
All programs kick off this Monday, August 31st.
Please select from the program tabs to find schedules and registration details. Lots of exciting new class offerings this fall!
Continuing education is an important part of our program development, and SCW Fitness Dallas Mania is an opportunity for our team to learn, grow and improve so that we can continue to bring you the very best. Check it out!